Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Finca Novena Part 9 of 10- A Holy Heart

This is the eighth of my reflections on the different lines of the finca prayer, a prayer we pray daily here at the farm. To see the idea behind this series of reflections please see this previous blog (http://mkatthefinca.blogspot.com/2012/10/the-finca-prayer-novena-part-1-of-10.html).

"a holy heart whose only desire is that God may be known and loved by everyone"

A vibe.
A sense.
Un ambiente.
Many words for an indescribable notion in one's heart that something more is present in a situation.

The Farm of the Child has this.  A vibe that you walk along special sacred ground.   This is made possible by the many amazing people that have passed through the grounds.  Their amazing examples of hope and care leave indelible marks that touch one's heart.

This is not to say that one does not face many challenges, one will, daily; but rather that there is a deeper sense of Havel-eque hope and care that surrounds one at all times.  

This week I had the great pleasure of visiting one of the people I believe to be a true embodiment of this deep sacred feeling, Magdalena.  Magdalena is a girl who used to live on the farm.  She was my all star student for my first year in Honduras.  She has special needs academically and socially, and a heart of pure gold.  She was moved in July to a home in central Honduras where her growing needs will be better met as she continues to grow and mature.  

At her send-off party at the farm she asked me two things, to pray for her and to visit her.  I pray for her daily, and this week had the chance to visit her at last.  Our visit was magical.  She is doing incredibly well at her new home, and we were both over the moon simply to spend two days together.  Her joy for life and deep sense of care for all around her inspires one's heart on levels previously unknown.  

After making videos and cards for her siblings, watching "Babe", dancing, and playing soccer with her housemates and caretakers it was time to say good bye.  She gave me a hug and calmly asked me if I loved her.  I told her that I love her more than she could imagine.  She told me that she loved me too, and we went our separate ways, until we are able to meet again.

Every day at the farm we pray the finca prayer.  Magdalena lives the finca prayer.  Her holy heart, at the young age of 12 asked not for toys or clothes but for prayers and love.  Sure she loves sparkles and stickers, but in the moments that count, she asks for prayers and love.  

I pray daily for Magdalena, and that my heart may grow daily following her incredible example.

No comments:

Post a Comment